We will be carrying out work to some of our IT systems on 19 and 20 September 2014 which will affect the availability of some of our online systems, including viewing planning applications online Further information about online services that will be unavailable
Active Ageing Week in Harborough - Monday 29th September – Sunday 5th October 2014
Harborough’s Active Ageing Week is back and includes a packed programme of activities for people to try!
Active Together promotes lifelong physical activity but being physically active in later life is particularly important because -
older adults who participate in any amount of physical activity gain some health, social and wellbeing benefits such as -
- improved muscle strength
- improved balance and co-ordination
- reduced risk of falls
- social Benefits: meet new people, take up a new hobby, do activities with your friends and family
- wellbeing Benefits: improve your mood, improve your confidence, reduce stress, gain more self esteem
Older adults (aged 65+) should aim to be active daily. A minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity activity (in bouts of ten minutes or more) each week is recommended by the Department of Health.
One way to approach this is to do 30 minutes on at least 5 days a week. Muscle-strengthening activities should be included on at least two days of the week.
So, with line dancing, kurling, carpet bowls, Nordic walking and table tennis, to name a few, to chose from, we hope there is an activity for all to enjoy!
Active Together's full programme of activities are aimed at adults aged 60+, although, if you are younger and would like to participate in any of our Active Ageing Week activities, please feel free to attend.
For further information about Active Ageing Week activities in Harborough, please contact the Active Together team on 01858 828282 or email email@example.com
Pages in this section
- What is Active Together?
- Getting your recommended, weekly 150 minutes of moderate exercise just got easier!
- Healthy Harborough Walks
- Healthy Harborough Walks (When and Where)
- Fancy a stroll in or around Market Harborough?
- Weekend Wanderer walks return and celebrate Silver Sunday! Sunday 5 October from 10am - we are off to Peatling Parva
- Family Lifestyle Club in Fleckney - September 2014
- Choose to Move - new adult exercise class comes to Fleckney
- Choose to Move - new adult exercise class comes to Lutterworth
- FREE training for people who work with children aged 0-5 years - Purposeful Physical Play
- Sports equipment now available to hire out in Welland Park Café!
- Active Ageing Week in Harborough - Monday 29th September – Sunday 5th October 2014
- Lifestyle, Eating and Activity Programme (LEAP)
- Anyone for tennis? Adult and child tennis coaching
- 'No Strings' Badminton in Harborough
- Pack a punch at Market Harborough's Boxing Academy!
Rate this page
- Advice and benefits
- Community and living
- Council and democracy
- Education and learning
- Environment and planning
- Health and social care
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Transport and streets