Have a healthy new year with LEAP! Starts January 2014
Following the success of our first Lifestyle Exercise and Activity Programme (LEAP) in Fleckney, a brand new programme starts in January 2014 and places are filling up fast!
LEAP is a free, weekly weight management group supporting adults that are overweight to lose weight gradually through a balanced diet and regular, moderate exercise. LEAP can help improve a number of health conditions that include type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and depression.
Supported by Harborough District Council’s Active Together programme, LEAP is different to other weight loss programmes, not only will you have the support of a NHS-trained dietitian for 10 weeks, but the support of other group members. Together, you will lose weight gradually and safely and learn how to keep the weight off for good by healthy eating and increasing your activity levels.
Not everyone is used to taking regular exercise (because of e.g. an existing health condition, poor mobility) but do not be put off from joining us. Our expert exercise instructor, Gemma, will tailor the exercises to your level of fitness and help you build your activity levels gradually. Research demonstrates that people who do regular activity have a lower risk of many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke and some cancers.
At the end of the 10-week course, you can continue to attend regular weigh-ins and exercise classes* along with members of your group.
Adults who have completed LEAP liked:
- the small group size (male and female)
- that weighing is optional and takes place privately, away from the other group members
- it is not too time consuming, each session comprises up to 60 minutes nutrition and up to 60 minutes exercise
- that a good range of healthy eating topics were discussed e.g. understanding food groups and eating the right proportion of these, understanding food labels, healthy snack options, overcoming comfort eating
LEAP launches on Wednesday 22 January from 9.15am at Fleckney Sports Centre, Leicester Road, Fleckney, Leicester, LE8 8BG. Classes last approximately 2 hours.
So, if you or someone you know wants to join a successful weight management programme and lose up to a stone in weight before Easter, call 0116 2227154 now to book a place or speak to a dietitian in confidence about whether this programme is suitable for you.
*There will be a small charge for the follow-on LEAP exercise classes.
Pages in this section
- What is Active Together?
- Healthy Harborough Walks
- Healthy Harborough Walks (When and Where)
- Fancy a stroll in or around Market Harborough?
- Weekend Wanderer walks - next walk details to be confirmed
- Have a healthy new year with LEAP! Starts January 2014
- Adult and child tennis coaching
- Active Together Harborough activity guide
- 'No Strings' Badminton in Harborough
- Pack a punch at Market Harborough's new Boxing Academy!
Rate this page
- Advice and benefits
- Community and living
- Council and democracy
- Education and learning
- Environment and planning
- Health and social care
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Transport and streets