Family Lifestyle Club in Fleckney - September 2014
What is a family lifestyle club (FliC)?
Are you stuck for healthy meal ideas for your family, confused by food labelling or portion sizes? Are you are a parent / guardian of a child that is overweight or obese and aged between 8 and 13 years old?
If so, there is a FREE healthy eating and healthy lifestyle programme designed for you starting in September 2014 from 4pm (please register first by calling FLiC team - contact number below) at Fleckney C of E Primary School, 16 Batchelor Road, Fleckney, Leicestershire, LE8 8BE.
The Family Lifestyle Club (FLiC) is an eight-week programme, supported through Harborough District Council’s Active Together programme, is led by fully qualified NHS dietitians.
To start each weekly session there is a fun activity (e.g. indoor hockey, dodgeball, rounders) for the children. Meanwhile parents get together to discuss and share ideas about making changes that will support their family to eat a healthy, balanced diet, for example dealing with fussy eating, meal and sleeping patterns, understanding food labels and eating out.
Families come together for the final part of the session to make and taste a variety of foods and take part in fun food activities such as a “bush tucker” trial and preparing fruit kebabs and smoothies.
Department of Health reports show that one in five children starting school are overweight, increasing to one in three when leaving primary school. Being overweight as a child can lead to long-term health problems such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease.
Cllr James Hallam who has responsibility for health at the district council said about the FliC programme:
“We all recognise that obesity is becoming a growing problem within society, and that is why we are supporting this type of programme to tackle the issue head on. It will give children and parents the tools to make sensible decisions around the food that the family is eating, as well as encouraging young people to become more physically active and enjoy it”
Lisa Sinfield, FLiC Co-ordinator said “Parents tell us they feel more confident in supporting their family to make healthy changes to food and activity levels.”
Results from the July FLiC programme in Market Harborough saw all the heavy children stabilise or decrease their Body Mass Index within 6 weeks.
If your family would like to book a place (siblings and grandparents are welcome too!) or find out more about healthier eating, becoming fitter and managing their weight from a family dietitian, contact the FLiC team on 0116 2227154.
Pages in this section
- What is Active Together?
- Getting your recommended, weekly 150 minutes of moderate exercise just got easier!
- Healthy Harborough Walks
- Healthy Harborough Walks (When and Where)
- Fancy a stroll in or around Market Harborough?
- Children's Summer Activity 2014 brochure - Harborough
- Playing out returns to Market Harborough and Lutterworth
- Weekend Wanderer walks - Sat 26 July 2014 / Little Brington, Northamptonshire
- Family Lifestyle Club in Fleckney - September 2014
- Choose to Move - new adult exercise class comes to Fleckney
- Choose to Move - new adult exercise class comes to Lutterworth
- Sports equipment now available to hire out in Welland Park Café!
- Active Ageing Week in Harborough - Monday 29th September – Sunday 5th October 2014
- Lifestyle, Eating and Activity Programme 2014 dates and venues
- Anyone for tennis? Adult and child tennis coaching
- Active Together Harborough activity guide
- 'No Strings' Badminton in Harborough
- Pack a punch at Market Harborough's Boxing Academy!
Rate this page
- Advice and benefits
- Community and living
- Council and democracy
- Education and learning
- Environment and planning
- Health and social care
- Jobs and careers
- Leisure and culture
- Transport and streets