Letters are being sent to all Harborough residents on the register of electors explaining changes to the way you register to vote. Find out more about the changes to the way you register to vote
Housing Benefit & Local Housing Allowance
How is Local Housing Allowance worked out
The amount of Local Housing Allowance you receive depends on
- who lives with you
- which area you live in
- how much money you have coming in
- what savings you have
- the number of rooms you need
The Local Housing Allowance rate is determined by calculating how many bedrooms you need based on who lives with you.
One bedroom is allowed for :
- every adult couple
- any other adult aged 16 or over
- any two children regardless of sex aged under age 10
- any two children of the same sex aged under 16, and
- any other child
However the room rate is capped to a maximum of the four room rate.
The number of other rooms is ignored for this purpose as all tenants are entitled to these.