Information for private landlords about Housing Benefit

How to claim

Tenancy Consultation The tenant will have to complete a Housing Benefit application form and provide evidence to support their claim.  Application Forms are available from the Council.  A claim should be made immediately a tenancy begins.  The tenant should send in the claim at once even if they have not got all the required evidence.

As well as proof of any income / benefits and capital they hold they will need to provide proof of their tenancy

  • Current Tenancy Agreement / Letter from landlord or letting agent
  • Rent book
The evidence must include:
  • Full name and address of the landlord
  • Full name and business address of the agent (if appropriate)
  • The date the agreement started
  • The amount payable and what the charge includes (e.g. heating)