Making a claim

What documentary evidence do I need to supply?


In order to process your claim for Benefit you will need to provide documentary evidence of:

  • Your identity
  • Residency
  • National insurance number
  • Income, benefits and capital.
  • If you are applying for Housing Benefit proof of your rent liability will also be required.
However you should not delay in returning your application form just because you do not have all the necessary documentary evidence. 

In such cases you should return your form straight away and we will then write to you for any necessary missing documentary evidence. 

All documents supplied need to be originals. 

Please find listed below the types of acceptable documentary evidence.   

Proof of identity

Such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, medical card, driving licence, UK residence permit, EEC identity card. We need to see at least two of these documents for each person.  

Proof of residency

Such as a recent utility bill (eg. gas, water, electricity or telephone) to confirm your name and address.

Proof of National Insurance number

Such as National Insurance number card, Social Security letter, Tax Credit award letter.

Proof of capital, savings and investments

Such as all your bank, building society or post office books, or certificates for premium bonds, National Savings certificates, ISAs, stocks, shares and unit trusts. We need to see proof of any interest or dividends you get on investments and savings. We must see two months of transactions on your bank, building society or post office accounts. The accounts should have been made up to date within the last two months. This includes any current accounts you or your partner hold. 

Proof of earnings

This means your last five payslips if you are paid every week, your last three payslips if you are paid every two weeks or your last two payslips if you are paid every month. There is a form withing the benefit application form that you can cut out and give to your employer if you do not have your payslips. We will not accept handwritten brown envelopes as proof of wages. If you or your partner are self-employed, we need to see your accounts for the last financial year or, if you have been trading for less than six months, a summary of your trading records so far, or completion of this form.  

Proof of other income

Such as pension slips from a former employer, or a letter from the court showing how much maintenance you are getting. We need to see proof of any money people pay you for board and lodging on a commercial basis.  

Proof of benefits, allowances or pensions

Such as award notices or letters from social security confirming how much you get. If you do not have proof, let us know straight away.

Proof of private rent and tenancy

Such as an up-to-date rent book, rent receipts, current signed tenancy agreement or a letter from your landlord/agent to confirm the terms of your tenancy. 

Proof of other money paid out

Such as letters about student grants or maintenance, agreements or receipts from registered child carers.