Council Tax

Single Occupancy Discount Claim


If you are the only adult living in your home you can apply for a 25% reduction to your Council Tax charge.

Certain people are disregarded when deciding how many adults live in a property.

These include:

  • Children under 18
  • Persons over 18 for whom child benefit is still being paid
  • Certain school leavers under the age of 20 and who have finished a full-time course between 1st May and 31st October
  • People with severe mental impairment who are in receipt of certain disability and attendance allowances
  • Qualifying students
  • Certain YTS trainees under the age of 25
  • Student nurses
  • Certain apprentices
  • Long-term/permanent hospital patients
  • Certain people resident in residential care homes, nursing homes or mental nursing home/hostel
  • Most persons in prison
  • Certain care workers

If you are asking us to backdate a discount, you may need to provide proof of your occupancy status for the dates concerned.

Please ensure you give us a contact number so we can advise you promptly if we need more information.

You must also tell us if you are receiving Single Occupancy Discount and another adult joins you in the property. We will then end the discount from the date the change occurred. A discount will be applied or removed from the date your circumstances changed so it is very important that you give us exact dates.

Application for Single Occupancy Discount  This form can be downloaded and printed off for you to complete manually.

We review all accounts where a discount is in place at regular intervals, and may contact or visit you to ensure the circumstances remain unchanged.

Contact the Council Tax team for further advice.