Single Occupancy Discount Claim
You can use this service to submit your claim for a single occupancy discount on-line. If you are the only adult living in your home you can claim a 25% reduction to your Council Tax charge.
You need to tell us about this, either when you first register for Council Tax liability, or when your circumstances change.
Certain people are disregarded when deciding how many adults live in a property.
- Children under 18
- Persons over 18 for whom child benefit is still being paid
- Certain school leavers under the age of 20 and who have finished a full-time course between 1st May and 31st October
- People with severe mental impairment who are in receipt of certain disability and attendance allowances
- Qualifying students
- Certain YTS trainees under the age of 25
- Student nurses
- Certain apprentices
- Long-term/permanent hospital patients
- Certain people resident in residential care homes, nursing homes or mental nursing home/hostel
- Most persons in prison
- Certain care workers
If you are asking us to backdate a discount, you may need to provide proof of your occupancy status for the dates concerned.
Please ensure you give us a contact number so we can advise you promptly if we need more information.
You must also tell us if you are receiving Single Occupancy Discount and another adult joins you in the property. We will then end the discount from the date the change occurred. A discount will be applied or removed from the date your circumstances changed so it is very important that you give us exact dates.
We review all accounts where a discount is in place at regular intervals and may contact or visit you to ensure the circumstances remain unchanged.
Please click to fill out the Single Occupant Discount Claim
Contact the Council Tax team for further advice.
Pages in this section
- What is Council Tax?
- Council Tax-Enquiries
- The Council Tax Bill
- Who Pays the Bill?
- Paying your Council Tax
- Change of Details
- Discounts and Exemptions
- Banding Enquiry
- Carer's Council Tax Discount
- Disablement Discount Application
- Single Occupancy Discount Claim
- Council Tax Recovery & Enforcement
- How to contact the Council Tax Team
- Council Tax Financial Information 2013/14
- Council Tax Support Scheme
- Council Tax Discretionary Discount - CTDD