Council Tax

Change of Details



Tell us if you are changing your address.
Council Tax is a daily charge, so if you move to a different property you will pay up to the day before the moving date at your old property and from the moving date onwards at the new one.
It is therefore very important that you give us the exact dates for any changes taking place. If you own, or have a tenancy on, a property after the date you have vacated, you will still be liable for Council Tax payments until you sell or rent out the property or until the tenancy ends. It may be possible to get a discount or an exemption for this period of time. Please complete the forms online as fully as you can.
If you are not able to record information that you feel is important, or need more information from us, please contact Customer Service staff by telephone on 01858 828282. If you complete your contact details on the forms you fill, we can contact you to confirm additional information as necessary. This will ensure we deal with your enquiry as promptly and efficiently as possible.
You are required to notify the Authority of any change in circumstances that will affect your liability for Council Tax within 21 days of the event occurring. Any changes which should be notified could include:
  • A change of address
  • A change in the number of adult occupiers at your address
  • A change in your payment method ( eg if you wish to change 
    to / from Direct Debit )
  • You wish to claim a discount / exemption ( you will require a form for this )
  • You have an empty property you are responsible for

Moving In

If you are moving in to a property within the Council area you should let us know as soon as possible so that we can send you a bill and spread the payments for as long as possible. We will need some or all of the following information depending upon the circumstances:

  • Your name and the address you are moving to
  • The date you are moving
  • Your old address if it is in the district
  • A daytime telephone number and/or email address
  • If the property is owned or rented
  • Date of completion of sale
  • Number of adults (over 18) in the property
  • Whether the property is furnished
  • Tenancy dates
  • Name and address of landlord or agent

Tell us if you are changing your address using our online form. Alternatively complete your change of address details.

If you are eligible, you may also wish to contact the Council's Electoral Services to inform them of your move. As well as contacting the Council you also may need to make the following aware that you are moving house:  

  • Family and friends.
  • Employer.
  • School.
  • Doctor and dentist.
  • Utility companies - gas, water, electricity, telephone.
  • Bank/building society.
  • Insurance companies - car and house.
  • Share registrars.
  • Other financial organisations. Inland Revenue.
  • TV Licensing Authority - a legal requirement.
  • DVLA - a legal requirement.
  • Motoring Organisations.
  • Post Office - expect a small fee for mail redirection.
  • Cable/satellite company.

Contact the Council Tax team for further advice.