Cemeteries and Burials

Death Outside of England and Wales

If a death occurs abroad, the death should be registered according to the local regulations of that country and a Death Certificate should be obtained. Register the death with the British Consul, so that a record of the death will be kept in England. You will be able to get a copy of the death certificate from the consulate later, or from:

The Overseas Registration Section, Smedley Hydro, Trafalgar Road, Birkdale, Southport, PR8 2HH

To bring a body back to England or Wales you will need either the Death Certificate or an authorisation for the removal of the body from the country of death by someone authorised to do so.

There is no provision to register a death which occurred outside of England and Wales. Where a death occurred outside England and Wales and the family require a burial or cremation to take place within England and Wales it is the duty of the registrar to make preliminary checks regarding the place and cause of death and to issue the necessary documentation.

To arrange a funeral in England or Wales you will need:

An authenticated translation of a Death Certificate showing the cause of death, and

A Certificate of No Liability to Register, from the registrar in England and Wales . This certificate must be obtained from the registrar in whose area it is intended to bury or cremate the deceased.

To arrange a cremation, a cremation order from the Home Office or a form E from the coroner will be required.

If the death was from natural causes, the Home Office will require the following documentation;

  • Application for cremation (form A)
  • All original documentation from the country where death occurred
  • Translation of documents if necessary

If the death was not natural it will be referred to the coroner who will open an inquest to investigate the cause and circumstances of death. In this case the coroner will issue Form E for cremation.