Cemeteries and Burials

Repatriation of remains Abroad

Village of Hallaton with Butter Cross  If remains are to be taken out of England and Wales, notice must be given to the coroner for the area where the body is lying. There is no restriction on the movment of remains within England and Wales, but notice is necessary where the removal is to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, as well as abroad.

A Form of Notice (form 104) may be obtained from a registrar or a coroner. Any certificate for burial or cremation already issued by the registrar or a coroner must be given to the coroner with the notice.

The coroner will acknowledge receipt of the notice and say when the removal of the body may take place. This will normally be after four clear days from when the coroner received the notice. If it is urgent, the person giving notice to the coroner should speak to him or her personally since it may be possible to allow the removal sooner.

Coroners Office

Tel: 0116 225 2534

The Town Hall, Town Hall Square, Leicester, Leicestershire LE1 9BG

Registrar Of Births, Deaths & Marriages

Tel: 01536 203141

10, London Rd, Kettering, Northamptonshire NN15 7QU