Planning policies - new Local Plan
Our new Local Plan will set out planning policies in the district for the period to 2031. It will make sure development meets our strategic priorities. It will:
- Set out our policies for meeting future needs relating to areas such as housing, employment, community facilities, transport and other infrastructure needed to support development
- Include strategic allocations of land to meet future needs
- Set out policies to protect the local environment
- Identify the boundaries of strategic green space
We are preparing a new Local Plan as we identified that there are some areas of national policy that are not reflected in our Core Strategy and that there are a number of policies that are not fully inline with national policy.
Sustainability Appraisal is an integral part of the plan-making process for the new Local Plan. View more about Sustainability Appraisals and Strategic Environmental Assessments for the new Local Plan.
The development of the new Local Plan is supported by a number of evidence documents and background reports. View background planning documents.
Local Development Scheme 2014 to 2017 (including the new Local Plan timetable)
The Local Development Scheme enables the local community to find out about planning policies for their area and sets out the timetable for the production of the new Local Plan, giving key production and public consultation stages as well as outlining the subject matter and the geographical extent. It also provides information on future Supplementary Planning Documents to be prepared.
The latest Local Development Scheme 2014 to 2017 (January 2015) for Harborough District reflects the timetable as presented to the council’s Executive at its meeting in January 2015 (it replaces the previous version dated July 2014).
The timetable for preparing our new Local Plan is:
- September to October 2015: options consultation
- May 2016: council approval of pre-submission draft
- June to July 2016: pre-submission consultation
- September 2016: submission to Secretary of State
- November 2016: examination
- March 2017: adoption
This timetable depends on council decisions, evidence gathering, and the outcome of discussions with partner organisations (including neighbouring local authorities and other local authorities within the Leicester and Leicestershire Housing Market Area).
A consultation was held on the new Local Plan from 18 March to 28 April 2013. Read the report and public responses from the new Local Plan scoping consultation.
Previous Local Plan
Most policies set out in our previous Local Plan have been replaced by our Core Strategy, and these policies will no longer apply. A list of Local Plan policies that continue to apply are set out within Appendix 3 of the Core Strategy.