Letters are being sent to all Harborough residents on the register of electors explaining changes to the way you register to vote. Find out more about the changes to the way you register to vote
Housing in Multiple Occupation
House in Multiple Occupation - standards
A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) can include bedsits, flats and houses where the use of some facilities is shared between a number of households.
The District Council has a duty to inspect certain high-risk Houses in Multiple Occupation and, in addition, will respond to complaints regarding housing conditions.
The Housing Health & Safety Rating System (HHSRS) introduced a new risk assessment procedure for residential premises
In addition there are various management regulation which cover standards in HMO's.
A landlord must:
- Make sure that the house is in a reasonable state of good repair.
- Keep sinks, baths, showers and toilets in good working order.
- Make sure that the gas, water and electricity supply is not interrupted.
- Keep any common parts of the house clean and in good repair.
- Supply annual gas safety certificates (if gas is supplied) and periodically carry out safety checks on the electrical installations.
- Ensure that all means of escape from fire in the house and all apparatus, systems and other fire precaution measures are maintained and kept free from obstruction.
- Provide suitable facilities for the disposal of refuse.
It is also the duty of residents of a HMO to ensure that the Manager can effectively carry out his duties. All residents must:
- Allow the Manger access, at all reasonable times, so that he may carry out his duties.
- Take reasonable care not to damage anything for which the manager has a duty to repair, maintain, keep in good working order or supply under the regulations.
- Comply with any arrangements/instructions made by the manager with respect to fire safety or refuse disposal.
Health and Enforcement Services can inspect your property and take appropriate enforcement action to ensure that it is healthy, safe and complies with the Regulations
Pages in this section
- House in Multiple Occupation - standards
- Housing in Multiple Occupation - Licensing