Scrap metal dealers licence
Anyone carrying out business as a Scrap Metal Dealer and/or a Motor Salvage Operator within Harborough District must be licensed.
There are 2 types of licences:
- Site licence - lets you buy and sell metal from a fixed location within the Harborough district
- Collectors licence – a collectors licence allows you to travel within Harborough district to collect scrap metal
You cannot hold both a site licence and a collectors licence with the same council.
The fees for applications are:
- New site licence - £300
- Renew a site licence - £250
- Change a site licence - £170
- New collectors licence - £300
- Renew collectors licence - £250
- Change collectors licence - £170
Scrap Metal Dealers Licences last for 3 years and then you must renew your licence.
As part of the application we will carry out checks to ensure that the applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence:
- A check will be made for any relevant offences and enforcement action
- In order to verify a persons name and address checks will be made of relevant documents
- All applicants and named persons will be required to prove their identity using photographic identification and a utility bill
You and every person listed on the application form needs to submit a Basic Disclosure Certificate from Disclosure Scotland.
In addition to a site or collectors licence, you may need:
- A waste management licence, a waste carriers licence and/or a hazardous waste licence from the Environment Agency
- To register the business with the Health and Safety Executive