Planning policies - new Local Plan
Our new Local Plan will set out planning policies in the district for the period to 2031. It will make sure development meets our strategic priorities. It will:
- Set out our policies for meeting future needs relating to areas such as housing, employment, community facilities, transport and other infrastructure needed to support development
- Include strategic allocations of land to meet future needs
- Set out policies to protect the local environment
- Identify the boundaries of strategic green space
We are preparing a new Local Plan as we identified that there are some areas of national policy that are not reflected in our Core Strategy and that there are a number of policies that are not fully inline with national policy.
The development of the new Local Plan is supported by a number of evidence documents and background reports. View background planning documents.
Timetable for new Local Plan
The timetable for preparing our new Local Plan is:
- 18 March to 28 April 2013: Scoping consultation
- July 2015: Council approval of Pre-submission Draft
- August to September 2015: Pre-submission consultation
- November 2015: Submission to Secretary of State
- January 2016: Examination
- May 2016: Adoption
This timetable depends on council decisions, evidence gathering, and the outcome of discussions with partner organisations (including neighbouring local authorities and other local authorities within the Leicester and Leicestershire Housing Market Area).
A consultation was held on the new Local Plan from 18 March to 28 April 2013. Read the report and public responses from the new Local Plan scoping consultation.
Previous Local Plan
Most policies set out in our previous Local Plan have been replaced by our Core Strategy, and these policies will no longer apply. A list of Local Plan policies that continue to apply are set out within Appendix 3 of the Core Strategy.