Online forms: Report housing disrepair

Housing health and safety inspections

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used to make sure that properties are safe for the people who live there. This involves inspecting a property for possible hazards.

HHSRS hazard ratings

Inspectors look at 29 health and safety areas and score each hazard they find as category 1 or 2, according to its seriousness.

Landlords must take action on enforcement notices issued by Harborough District Council. Landlords also have the right to appeal enforcement notices.

Harborough District Council can do any of the following if they find a serious hazard:

  • issue an improvement notice
  • fix the hazard themselves and bill the landlord for the cost
  • stop the landlord or anyone else from using part or all of the property

Making repairs

Landlords must keep the property in good condition, and any gas or electrical systems must meet specified safety standards.

Gas Safety and Electrical Safety

Gas safety checks must be undertaken annually, If your landlord is not providing you with a gas safety certificate, you can report this to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 require that landlords have property electrics checked at least every 5 years by a properly qualified person. The electrics must meet standards and landlords must give their tenants proof of this. If your landlord is not providing you with a copy of the electrical installation condition report (EICR), please use this form to report them to us so that we can investigate the matter further. 

When can landlords enter the property

Landlords have a legal right to enter their property to inspect it or carry out repairs. They must give their tenants at least 24 hours’ notice, although immediate access may be possible in emergencies. Their tenants have the right to stay in the property during the repairs.

Common areas

If a landlord owns a block of flats, they are usually responsible for repairing common areas, like staircases. Harborough District Council can ask landlords to fix problems in common areas.

Report housing disrepair to us

When a privately rented property falls into disrepair the first person you should contact is the landlord or agent responsible for maintenance. The majority of landlords or agents will respond within a reasonable timescale and carry out any necessary repairs.

You can report disrepair in your rented house to us, if you've already reported the problem to your landlord, and they haven't fixed the issue in a reasonable amount of time.

For tenants of private landlords and Housing Associations, we'll usually expect you to have made your landlord aware of the disrepair in writing before you make a complaint to us, or if your property is provided by a Housing Association, you've already used their complaints procedure.

It is generally considered that 14 days is a reasonable timeframe for landlords/agents to inspect, investigate and arrange for works to be carried out on most disrepair issues. However, some housing disrepair issues can be considered higher risk and therefore urgent works may be required.

What happens after I have submitted the report form?

Upon receiving the form, your housing disrepair complaint will be logged on our case management system, allocated a reference number and assigned to an officer for initial review. The case officer will check the contents of your form to ensure that there are no emergency disrepair issues that require urgent attention – if so, your case officer will contact you directly to discuss this.

Your case officer will contact you directly to discuss the housing disrepair issues and any supporting documentation/correspondence submitted. If required, your case officer will arrange to undertake a full inspection of your property and take appropriate action where necessary.

If your request for service relates solely to damp or condensation, please visit Shelter England’s website for further information and advice.