Annual check of electoral register details (annual canvass)
Each year we are required to undertake an 'Annual Canvass' - a check of each property in the district to make sure the information that appears on the electoral register is correct.
It is a legal requirement for the information requested on the Household Enquiry Form to be provided. If you do not provide this information when asked to do so, you could face a fine of up to £1000.
Annual Canvass 2017
The Annual Canvass 2017 begins on the 21 August 2017 when a Household Enquiry Form will be posted out to all households. A form will be sent to your property and will be addressed to 'The Occupier' (this is because it is a household form not a personal form).
On the inside of the Household Enquiry Form are the names of the people who are currently registered to vote at your address. If the form is blank it means that no one is registered at your address. It is vital that you respond to this form as soon as possible or a reminder form will be sent to your property if no response is received within 2 weeks.
Responding to the form
You can respond to the form in several ways (only reply once using one of these options):
- Complete the Household Enquiry Form online - enter part 1 and part 2 of your security code
- Complete the paper Household Enquiry Form that we sent you and return it using the prepaid envelope
- If nothing has changed and the details printed on your Household Enquiry Formare correct, you can also:
- Text NOCHANGE followed by your security code to 80212 (if nobody is eligible to vote at the address, include a reason after your security codes eg Empty, Business, 2nd Home, Other)
- Telephone 0800 197 9871 and when prompted enter part 1 and part 2 of your security code
You do not need to return the Household Enquiry Form if you have responded using one of the electronic options.
If you have confirmed that the details on your Household Enquiry Form are correct then you do not have to do anything further.
New people living at your property
If you added any new names to your form then these people will receive an additional form called an Invitation To Register which they will need to complete and provide their date of birth and national insurance number. By completing the Invitation To Register they will:
- Be able to vote
- Improve their credit rating
If you do not submit a Household Enquiry Form
If you do not submit a Household Enquiry Form we will send a reminder, and if necessary a further reminder. If after the second reminder we have still not had a response we will send our canvassers to try and obtain the necessary information from households.