We're working with health colleagues and partners to make sure that the people of Harborough District are kept well informed with the latest coronavirus (COVID-19) information.
There is a lot of advice and information on the Government Website and the NHS website. These are being updated regularly and include information about symptoms, social distancing, self-isolation and shielding vulnerable people.
In addition, the Government has published its action plan for responding to the outbreak.
More about Coronavirus
Coronavirus are a group of viruses common across the world which can induce typical symptoms of fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. There are general principles you can follow to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 second
- If soap and water is not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser that contains at least 60% alcohol. This is particularly important after taking public transport. (NB Hand sanitisers are not that effective on already dirty hands)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, ideally try to maintain 2 metres distance
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home and work environment, domestic chemicals are suitable for this.
- If you are worried about your symptoms, please call NHS 111. Do not go directly to your GP or another healthcare environment
The common symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature
- a cough
- shortness of breath
You can check if you have Coronavirus symptoms on the NHS 111 website.
There is also a youtube video from the NHS giving a demonstration on how to wash your hands.