Council Tax Support

terraced housing

From 1st April 2013 Council Tax Support replaced council tax benefit, and also council tax discounts and exemptions. This is part of the Government's Welfare Reform changes

Read more about Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is help given to people on a low income to help towards the Council Tax they are liable to pay. 

You may qualify for Council Tax Support if you:

  • are the liable person to pay the Council Tax and are on a low income
  • are working full or part time and earning a low wage
  • have savings under £16,000.00 (however if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (guarantee) this limit does not apply)
  • are receiving state benefits 

Anyone of working age, who claims Council Tax Support, will have to contribute a minimum of 15% towards their Council Tax liability.

Anyone of pension age, as well as War Widows, will have their support claim assessed using their full council tax liability.

You can use the pension age calculator on the website to check when you reach pension age if you are not sure.

For further information on Council Tax Support please follow the links on the right or download the relevant leaflet :

Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support for Pensioners

Housing Benefit & Council Tax Support for the Working Age

Second Adult Rebate

If you do not meet the above criteria but another adult in your property does you may be eligible to claim Second Adult Rebate in respect of them. Second Adult Rebate is only available if you are of pension age.


For further help or advice please contact the Benefit Team.