Club Premises Certificate

To provide alcohol and regulated entertainment in a club that requires membership you need to have a club premises certificate. A club can apply for this certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

Your application 

To make an application complete the new club premises certificate application form

Completed forms should be returned to the Regulatory Services and Licensing Team, email or post to Regulatory Services and Licensing Team, Harborough District Council Council Offices, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 7AG.

Applications should be submitted with a plan of the premises which must be in a specific format, a copy of the rules of the club and a club operating schedule.  

In order to be a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

Your application will be dealt with within 2 months from receipt of your documents.

Fees for Premises Licences and Club Premises Certificate

The fee for an application is based on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises. You can check your rateable value at the Valuation Office Agency website. You will also need to pay an annual fee to cover monitoring and enforcement, view the list of fees.


Rateable Value

Fee for conversion during transition, new premises, and variation to existing licence

Fee for variation made at same time as application for Conversion

Additional fee for premises where primary activity is sale of alcohol by retail for consumption on premises

Annual fee

Additional annual fee for premises where primary activity is sale of alcohol by retail for consumption on premises



































and above






Requirements of the Licensing Act 2003 

A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy. These are:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • that club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club  
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith  
  • that the club has at least 25 members  
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club
Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of the club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members; that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club; that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, (apart from any benefit to the club) or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club.
  • Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Read a summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence.

Miners' welfare institutes

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. A relevant institute is one that is managed by a committee or board that consists of at least two thirds of people appointed or elevated by one or more licensed operators under the Coal Industry Act 1994 and by one or more organisations who represent coal mine employees.

The institute can be managed by the committee or board where the board cannot be made up as detailed above but is made up of:

  • at least two thirds of members who were employed or are employed in or around coal mines and 
  • by people who were appointed by the Coal Industry Welfare Organisation or by a body who had similar functions under the Miners' Welfare Act 1952. 

Application granted through 'Tacit Consent'

You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us within 2 months of the application being received.

Making an appeal

If you would like to make an appeal over a decision please contact and provide details of the appeal.  

If required, appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision.

Changes to your club and licence

If there any alterations to the rules or name of the club before an application is determined or after a certificate is issued, the club secretary must give details to the local licensing authority. If a certificate is in place this must be sent to the licensing authority when they are notified.  

If a certificate is in place and the registered address of the club changes the club must give notice to the local licensing authority of the change and provide the certificate with the notice.  

A club may apply to a local licensing authority to vary a certificate. The certificate should accompany the application.  The local licensing authority may inspect the premises before an application is considered.  Fees may be payable for any type of application relating to a club premises certificate.

You can  tell us about these changes using the club premises changes forms available on the Home Office website.

Renew your licence

To Renew your existing licence complete the club premises certificate application as detailed.

Objections to a licence by an 'interested party,

An interested party is:  

  • a person living near the premises, or a body representing such a person  
  • a person involved in a business near the premises or a body representing such a person  

Any interested party may make representations to the local licensing authority before a certificate is granted or before amendments to a certificate are granted.

If representations are made a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations. Notices will be made by the local licensing authority detailing the reasons for any outcome. Interested parties who made representations will receive notice of a failed application.  

An interested party may request a review of the club premises certificate. The local licensing authority will give reasons for their response to the application in a notice.  

An interested party may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made. They may also appeal against any variation of a condition. 

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.  Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Further information 

For further information about this licence complete a Licensing Information form.