Emergency Planning


Councils, emergency services and the NHS work together to help people prepare for flooding – and to stay safe.

It is also important residents and businesses take all possible steps to prepare and protect their properties if flood warnings are issued.

We advise you:

Flood information service - find flood warnings by postcode

Find out if you are at risk of flooding - national information

River Welland daily level - automated Twitter account

Leicestershire County Council is responsible for keeping local roads free of flood water.

Contact Highways Customer Service Centre (tel: 0116 305 0001 ), Leicestershire County Council customer services or the Leicestershire County Council website to report:

  • Flooding by water from a highway
  • Blocked drains, gullies in roads, or pavements

Contact (depending on area) Anglian Water (tel: 08457 145 145 ) or Severn Trent (tel: 0800 783 4444 ) to report:

  • Foul water sewer that is blocked or overflowing

Contact the Environment Agency floodline (tel: 0345 988 1188 ) (24 hour service) or type talk 0345 602 6340 to report:

  • River or water course issues
  • Concerns on river blockages etc

We have little direct responsibility in relation to flooding, but in an emergency we work with the emergency services to help co-ordinate the response.