Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.


Skip to main content

Benefits calculator

You can use our online calculators to work out if you can apply for benefits and how much you might be able to get:

Check what other benefits you could receive using the entitled to benefits calculator.

How benefits are calculated

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are calculated by comparing how much income you have got coming in by how much money the government says you need to live on. The amounts are known as personal allowances and reflect the basic living needs of the person making the claim and any of their family members.

Items classed as income include:

  • All State Pensions and Benefits
  • Private Pensions
  • Salaries and Wages
  • Payments received from boarders and lodgers etc 
  • For every £250 of savings which exceeds £6,000 an income of £1 per week is taken into account, or if you are aged 60 or more it is £1 for every £500 which exceeds £10,000

The following are disregarded but need to be declared on an application form:

  • War Pensions
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Mobility Allowance
  • Child Benefit and Maintenance in respect of a child

Full salary and wage amounts are not taken into account when benefit is assessed. From the gross amounts the following are deducted: Income Tax, National Insurance, half of any payment to a Private Pension or a Superannuation Scheme. After that there is a further disregard of £5 for a single person, £10 for a couple or £25 for a single parent. If you pay someone to care for your child/children you may also be able to get some of this payment deducted from the income we use in the benefit calculation.

Adults that live with you may affect your claim.

Items classed as capital include: 

  • Cash  
  • Bonds
  • Premium Bonds
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Stocks and shares
  • Property or land that you have an interest in - this does not include the property you occupy as your home