Street Trading

An Introduction to street trading

Farmers Market in Market Harborough


If you trade in the street you may require street trading consent.

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to your local district council, or the district council for the area you wish to trade.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.You must comply with any conditions attached to any consent.

Harborough District Council has adopted the provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, which gives the local Authority the right to designate streets as 'Licensed', 'Consent' or 'Prohibited' streets, and to charge such fees as they consider reasonable.

As such there are restictions on any kind of trading in certain streets in Market Harborough and Lutterworth. Where streets are designated as 'Consent' Streets, trading is not allowed without the prior written consent of the Council.

An application must be made using the approved form and must be accompanied by the correct fee. No trading is allowed at any time in streets designated as Prohibited streets.

This situation is currently under review and  may change in due course. If you are considering trading in any street you are advised to contact Health and Enforcement Services before you start to trade.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Once received the Council will consider all applications and if agreed the consent will be issued. It is against the law to trade in these areas without consent.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is an offence to trade in areas where restrictions apply without the proper consent being granted. The council will process your application within 45 working days of receipt.  If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

Failed Application Redress

There is no right of appeal against the councils decision to refuse to grant a street trading consent.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.