Councils, emergency services and the NHS work together to help people prepare for flooding – and to stay safe.
It is also important residents and businesses take all possible steps to prepare and protect their properties if flood warnings are issued.
We advise you:
- To sign up for flood alerts
- To prepare your home
- To check before you travel – find live travel updates online, by listening to local radio or by following Area Traffic Control on Twitter
- Not to drive through flood water
- For sandbags, or assistance with housing and shelter, contact your local council
Leicestershire County Council is responsible for keeping local roads free of flood water.
- Flooding by water from a highway
- Blocked drains, gullies in roads, or pavements
- Foul water sewer that is blocked or overflowing
Contact the Environment Agency floodline (tel: 0845 988 1188 ) (24 hour service) or type talk 0845 602 6340 to report:
- River or water course issues
- Concerns on river blockages etc
We have little direct responsibility in relation to flooding, but in an emergency we work with the emergency services to help co-ordinate the response.