Transport and mobility
Blue badge scheme
The Blue Badge scheme allows drivers or passengers with severe mobility problems to park close to where they need to go. Local authorities process blue badge applications in accordance with the DfT guidelines. Information can be found here:
The following are eligible for blue badges:
- those who receive a War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
- those who have been awarded a benefit (giving rise to a lump sum at tariffs 1-8 inclusive) under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS). Furthermore, you have been certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans agency as having a permanent and substantial disability; which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
Bus passes information
You can apply for an older person's bus pass for free travel on the bus anywhere in England during off-peak times.
You can apply for a disabled person's bus pass if you live in Leicestershire and you meet at least one of the following criteria:
- You're blind or partially sighted
- You're profoundly or severely deaf
- You're without speech or have severe communication difficulty
- You've a permanent severe walking difficulty
- You're without the use of both arms
- You've a learning disability which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- You're likely to be refused a driving licence for medical reasons
Please note: the diagnosis of a particular condition is not normally sufficient to demonstrate eligibility; further information will be required as to how severely the condition impacts on your ability to walk or travel by bus.