How to tell if a vehicle is abandoned
Before you report an abandoned vehicle, please make sure that it is abandoned. These questions will help you identify an abandoned vehivle:
- Does it look vandalised and/or fire damaged?
- Does it look unused and in poor condition?
- Has it been there for over a week?
- Is the vehicle taxed - check if a vehicle is taxed using the registration number
- Are the wheels or petrol cap missing?
- Have parts been removed or damaged? (eg broken windows or flat tyres)
- Has it been parked or abandoned in an isolated or unusual location?
- Is it a known area for abandoned vehicles?
- Have you seen anybody use it or act suspiciously around it?
- Is it full of rubbish, hazardous material or combustibles?
- Is it missing 1 or more of its number plates?
Charges for removing an abandoned vehicle
If we have to remove an abandoned vehicle we can charge the person it is registered to:
- Charge for removal of an abandoned vehicle £125
- Charge for daily storage of an abandoned vehicle £15 per day
- Charge for disposal of an abandoned vehicle £65
Cars, vans and other motorised, taxable vehicles can be removed from private land (with landowner's permission) and at the owner's request. A charge of £45 is made for this service.