Coronavirus Information

Test and trace support payment scheme

Wednesday, 13 January 2021

We’re currently experiencing system problems which may mean it takes a little longer than usual to respond to your query or process your payment. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay and we will respond as soon as we can.

About the scheme

The new self-isolation law

We are all working hard to keep each other safe and stop the spread of COVID-19 by covering our faces, keeping our distance, washing our hands and national guidance.

From 28 September 2020, to further stop the spread, all of us will be required by law to self-isolate if we test positive for COVID-19, or if we are identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive by the NHS Test and Trace scheme.

What will happen if I don't self-isolate?

If you do not self-isolate, there is a fine of £1,000 for breaching self-isolation rules, but this could increase to up to £10,000 for repeat offences and serious breaches, including if you prevent others from self-isolating (for example, if you own a business and threaten self-isolating staff with redundancy if they do not go to work).

Test and trace support payment scheme

To support residents whose earnings are affected by staying at home and isolating for 14 days, the government has set up the test and trace support payment scheme. Where eligible, residents can apply to their council for a test and trace support payment of £500 for the period of isolation.

Am I eligible for a test and trace support payment?

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be eligible to apply for a test and trace support payment.

To be eligible for the scheme, you must be a Harborough District Council resident and meet all four of the following criteria:

  1. You must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, and have been given a test and trace number
  2. You must be employed or self-employed.
  3. You must be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of having to stay at home and self-isolate
  4. You must be currently receiving universal credit, working tax credit, income-based employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income support, housing benefit and/or pension credit

The council will be given some additional discretionary funds so that we can support people who do not meet the government’s eligibility criteria. We are still waiting to hear about this. We will publish full details once known.

How can I apply?

Applications will need to be made via this website or over the telephone if you do not have access to a computer/internet.

Test and Trace Payment Enquiries

For other test and trace payment enquiries, please call 01455 638181. Please note this number is for test and trace payment enquiries only. For other enquiries please use 01858 828282 .