When planning permission is needed

Vehicular accesses, highways and road adoption

Dropped kerbs for vehicular access

Dropped kerbs are sections of pavement with a lowered kerb, allowing drivers access to a private driveway. You may wish to have a kerb lowered to enable you to legally drive across the pathway.

Before constructing a dropped kerb you will first need to find out if the road is a trunk or a classified road. You can check if a road is a trunk or classified road (an A-Road, B-Road or C-Road) on the National Street Gazetteer. This can be found here

Will I need planning permission?

You will need to apply for planning permission:

  • If the kerb to be dropped is on a trunk or classified road (class A, B and C roads)
  • If any work you intend to carry out in connection with the dropped kerb is not 'permitted development'
  • If the kerb to be dropped is not onto a trunk or classified road, but is the only work you are carrying out

You will not have to apply for planning permission:

  • If the kerb to be dropped is not on a trunk or classified road, and any work you intend to carry out in connection with the dropped kerb is permitted development (so does not require planning permission) For example: installation of porous hardstanding, building a freestanding garage, car port or extension that is permitted development. You should find out if these examples are permitted development prior to starting work.

Gaining consent from Leicestershire County Council

Please be aware that consent for constructing a dropped kerb will always be required from Leicestershire County Council's Highways Department even when planning permission is not required. Further information is available on their vehicle access webpage.

Works to and within the highway

Leicestershire County Council (LCC) are the Highways Authority for public highways in the District, this excludes motorways and some major A-roads, which are the responsibility of Highways England.

Planning permission or permitted development rights do not allow you to carry out access alterations to the highway. Anyone carrying out works on the road network within the District will need to apply for a permit from LCC before starting work. This also includes placing tables and chairs in the road, structures over and along the road (scaffolding) and skips. You can find more information regarding highways permits and licences here.

Road adoption

If any development includes the creation of new highways or transportation infrastructure the developer will need to consider whether they wish for the roads to be adopted by LCC. The Leicestershire Highway Design Guide which is published by LCC contains information regarding LCC requirements and the necessary processes required for road adoption, as well as general highways design guidance. In order for a road to become adopted and maintained as public highway, a submission must be made to LCC demonstrating that the road has been designed and will be built in accordance with certain standards. A road that is not adopted still needs to comply with certain standards and a developer will still need to gain separate consent from LCC as well as any relevant planning permission. You can also find more information and advice about highway adoptions here.