Careers, Skills and Work
Are you an employer looking to upskills new or existing staff or hire & promote available jobs? Are you looking for work, apprenticeships or opportunities to develop your skill?
Check out our Harborough Jobs page on our Invest in Harborough District website for the latest support initiatives for employers and employees.
Do you want to find out how you can support the workforce of the future? There are many ways you can get involved and many benefits to your business:
- Personal deveopment for your employees
- Dispel misconceptions around your industry
- Inspire the workforce of the future
- Attract, recruit and retain talent
Local schools are looking for businesses to support their students with mock interview days, careers talks around job roles and career paths and even site visits. If you think this is something you could help with please get in touch: email@example.com
Businesses in the Harborough district can apply for funding to help them take on apprentices. We are making grants of up to £750 available to encourage apprenticeships and promote the benefits they can offer businesses.
Offering a work experience placement to a young person will give you:
- A sense of pride that you are giving young people valuable opportunities to aid their future
- Access to talented young people who may join your business in the future
- The opportunity to proactively increase your business profile with young people.
Schools and businesses across the county are being invited to take part in an exciting initiative - TeenTech - to help young people understand the real opportunities in contemporary industry. With an annual festival and year round programmes for primary, secondary and college students, there are plenty of opportunities for local companies to participate. The award winning initiative is led by Maggie Philbin who grew up locally and is keen for young people to understand more about companies in the region and the real skills and qualities they need.
Become an Enterprise Adviser and help to connect young people to the world of work by using your expertise in business to shape future enterprise education.
Benefits for Enterprise Advisers include:
- The chance to support the development of your future workforce
- Easier access to schools and colleges to raise awareness of your industry
- The opportunity to enhance local business and education links, and invest in your local community
- The Enterprise Adviser network provides a forum for employers to discuss and work together to resolve local skills issues.
- Great opportunities to develop your own employees who get involved
Local universities offer Talent Match Scheme to SME's looking to attract and recruit students/graduates for internship opportunities. The schemes offer support by matching your business with high quality graduates who have the knowledge, skills and insight to add value to your business. Funding is also available through these schemes to help you get started.
- University of Leicester Talent Match
- Loughborough University Talent Match
- De Montfort University DMU Works
Local colleges and universities are keen to work with businesses to meet their needs in skills and training. Most colleges provide apprenticeships and training for employers, so get in touch to see how they can help.