Private Renting

Information on Private Renting

Emergency Laws:

The Government has announced new emergency laws to help protect tenants and help out landlords. Currently your landlord must give you at least 6 months notice to leave a property before they can apply for an eviction warrant. In some circumstances they can evict you sooner, for example if you have 6 months rent arrears or are involved in anti-social behaviour.

They have also announced a mortgage holiday for homeowners and landlords, there is advice for landlords here.

At the end of the crisis period though you will still owe your rent, so you should work with your landlord if you are struggling with your rent. Please call the council if you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage.

During the crisis you must prioritise paying your rent and essentials like food and utilities. You may not get any help with money if you have spent your income on non-priorities.

Looking for Private Rented properties:

You can look for private rented properties in the Harborough District on websites such as these:

Help with Paying for a Private Rent:

You may be entitled to some help from the council to get a private rented property. If you are claiming benefits you may be entitled to a loan or an advance on your Universal Credit. If you are working with Harborough District Council as you are homeless or threatened with homelessness then we may be able to assist you with our Homeless Prevention Fund. This may help you pay for a deposit or rent-in-advance if you cannot afford it yourself.

You may need to apply for benefits to afford your rent or for help towards your mortgage. You can apply for Universal Credit online or contact your local Job Centre Plus. You can apply for benefits even if you are already working as you may be entitled to something. You can check if you are entitled to any benefits or if you can get extra help by using calculators on websites such as Entitledto or Turn2Us.

Tenant's Rights and Responsibilities:

As a tenant, you have the right to:

  • live in a property that’s safe and in a good state of repair
  • have your deposit protected
  • challenge excessively high charges
  • know who your landlord is
  • live in the property undisturbed
  • see an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • be protected from unfair eviction and unfair rent

If you have a tenancy agreement, it should be fair and comply with the law.

You must give your landlord access to the property to inspect it or carry out repairs. Your landlord has to give you at least 24 hours’ notice and visit at a reasonable time of day, unless it is an emergency and they need immediate access.

You must also:

  • take good care of the property
  • pay the agreed rent, even if repairs are needed or you are in dispute with your landlord
  • pay other charges as agreed with the landlord, for example Council Tax or utility bills
  • repair or pay for any damage caused by you, your family or friends
  • only sublet a property if the tenancy agreement or your landlord allows it

Your landlord has the right to take legal action to evict you if you do not meet your responsibilities.

Landlord's Rights and Responsibilities:

You are a landlord if you rent out your property (even to family or friends). As a landlord you must:

You have to pay:

If you own a property and rent it out, the council may decide to do a Housing Heath and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) inspection because:

  • your tenants have asked for an inspection
  • the council has done a survey of local properties and thinks your property might be hazardous

What to do if you are having a problem in your private rented property:

If you are a tenant and you are having problems with disrepair in your property which you landlord is not able to resolve you can contact the Council's Environmental Health Team.

If you are having any problems paying your rent you may be able to get benefits to help towards the cost of your housing or you may find some other support available here.

If you are being asked to leave your home by your landlord you can contact the Housing Team as you may be at risk of homelessness.

Landlords can also get advice from the Housing Team on any of their responsibilities mentioned above.