Council Tax Support

Alternative reduction for those at pension age (Second Adult Rebate)

If you are at pension age and another adult living in your property is on a low income, you may be able to claim a reduction in your Council Tax bill called Second Adult Rebate.

If your circumstances mean that you qualify for both Second Adult Rebate and Council Tax Support then you will be paid whichever of these reductions is the highest. You will not receive both.

For any other adults in your property to be counted as a ‘second adult’ for this reduction they must be:

  • 18 years of age or over
  • Not paying you rent
  • Not your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Not living with you as if you are married or civil partners
  • Not responsible for paying Council Tax themselves
  • Not already disregarded on your Council Tax bill
  • On a low income

If you have more than one other adult living with you, and they all meet the conditions, then you may still get the Second Adult Rebate.

Only the person responsible for paying Council Tax can make the claim so your name must be on the Council Tax bill.

Working out your reduction for a Second Adult Rebate

Your Council Tax is reduced by 25% if everyone living with you gets either:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

Other reductions for other adults living at your property are based on their weekly income (amounts effective from April 2024 to March 2025):

  • If their gross weekly income added together, before tax is deducted, is less than £265.00 your Council Tax is reduced by 15%
  • If their gross weekly income added together is between £265.00 and £343.99 your Council Tax is reduced by 7.5%
  • If their gross weekly income added together is £344.00 or more per week, then you will not be able to get Second Adult Rebate

The savings of other people at your property are not taken into account, but any interest on savings (before tax is deducted) counts as part of their income.

If they get Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment, then these benefits are ignored when calculating their gross income.