Council Tax Support

We are currently receiving a high volume of telephone calls. Many of our services can be accessed online by registering for an account on  MyServicesIf after checking your account you still need assistance please contact us by email.


Council Tax Support is help given to people on a low income to help towards their Council Tax. You can claim whether you are working, unemployed, retired, or receiving Income Support or any other benefits.

If you claim Universal Credit you still need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support as this is not included in your Universal Credit payments.

Your Council Tax Support will be added directly to your Council Tax bill.

To apply for Council Tax Support you must be the person legally responsible for paying the Council Tax and be living at the property.

You can claim Council Tax Support online here

You may be able to claim for Council Tax Support if you:

  • Are working full or part time and earning a low wage
  • Have savings under £16,000 (if you are in receipt of Pension Credit (guarantee) this limit does not apply)
  • Are receiving state benefits

Your claim will be based on your Council Tax charge after any discounts have been made. Read the details of our Council Tax Support scheme.

Anyone of working age who claims Council Tax Support will have to contribute a minimum of 15% towards their Council Tax.

Anyone of pension age and War Widows will have their Council Tax Support claim assessed using their full Council Tax charge. Check when you reach pension age using the pension age calculator.

Whilst you are receiving Council Tax Support you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances which may affect your claim.

Mixed age couples

New rules apply from 15 May 2019 for mixed age couples who claim Housing Benefit. However these do not apply to a claim for Council Tax Support. You will continue to be classed as a pension age couple if only one of you is of pension age.

Backdating Council Tax Support

We cannot usually start your claim before the date that we receive it just because you did not know or did not think you were entitled to benefit.

If you can show good cause for not making an application earlier we will consider backdating your Council Tax Support.

We cannot backdate your claim for more than 6 months for working age customers or 3 months for pensioners from before the date your claim for backdating is received. 

Make an application for backdated payment of benefits (PDF, 93KB).

Alternative reduction for those at pension age (Second Adult Rebate)

If you are at pension age and another adult living in your property is on a low income, you may be able to claim a reduction in your Council Tax bill called Second Adult Rebate.

If your circumstances mean that you qualify for both Second Adult Rebate and Council Tax Support then you will be paid whichever of these reductions is the highest. You will not receive both.

For any other adults in your property to be counted as a ‘second adult’ for this reduction they must be:

  • 18 years of age or over
  • Not paying you rent
  • Not your husband, wife or civil partner
  • Not living with you as if you are married or civil partners
  • Not responsible for paying Council Tax themselves
  • Not already disregarded on your Council Tax bill
  • On a low income

If you have more than one other adult living with you, and they all meet the conditions, then you may still get the Second Adult Rebate.

Only the person responsible for paying Council Tax can make the claim so your name must be on the Council Tax bill.

Working out your reduction for a Second Adult Rebate

Your Council Tax is reduced by 25% if everyone living with you gets either:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

Other reductions for other adults living at your property are based on their weekly income (amounts effective from April 2021 to March 2022):

  • If their gross weekly income added together, before tax is deducted, is less than £215.00 your Council Tax is reduced by 15%
  • If their gross weekly income added together is between £215.00 and £278.99 your Council Tax is reduced by 7.5%
  • If their gross weekly income added together is £279.00 or more per week, then you will not be able to get Second Adult Rebate

The savings of other people at your property are not taken into account, but any interest on savings (before tax is deducted) counts as part of their income.

If they get Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Armed Forces Independence Payment, then these benefits are ignored when calculating their gross income.