Help paying your rent – Housing Benefit

Temporary absence from home

Normally Housing Benefit can only be paid if you are actually living in the property you are claiming benefit for.

However there are situations where we may still pay Housing Benefit if you are temporarily absent.

Different help is available depending on whether you are absent from home but remain in Great Britain or absent from home and outside of Great Britain.

To be eligible to claim you must intend to return to your home and not relet your home to someone else.

Further information on the reasons we may still be able to pay Housing Benefit whilst you are absent and an application form can be found in this leaflet (PDF 401KB)