Help paying your rent – Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit on two homes

Housing Benefit is normally only paid for the rent you pay on one home at a time. There are a few exceptions to this and you may be able to get extra help if:

  • You have moved into other rented accommodation due to fear of violence, you are a student or trainee or one of a couple and have to live in separate rented accommodation from your partner
  • You have a large family and the council has housed you in 2 properties
  • You have moved to a new home which you pay rent on and still have to pay rent on your old home

There are time limits as to how long these overlapping payments will be made.

For further information on this, or to apply for Housing Benefit on two homes please see this leaflet (PDF, 375KB).