Universal Credit

We are receiving a large number of emails and telephone enquiries. In the first instance please login to or register for MyServices which will give you online access to your Council Tax, Benefits and Business Rates Accounts. Most changes to demand notices can be seen immediately online, whereas the issue of paper bills may be delayed depending on staff resources and mail availability.


Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people that replaces a number of existing benefits, including Housing Benefit / Local Housing Allowance.

It is a monthly payment to help with basic living expenses and housing costs if you are on a low income or out of work.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Mixed age couples

A mixed age couple is where one of you is above State Pension age  and the other is below it.

If you are a mixed age couple you cannot make a claim for Pension Credit and / or Housing Benefit , but may be able to claim Universal Credit instead.

If you are in a mixed age couple and have been in receipt of Pension Credit and / or Housing Benefit since on or before 14 May 2019, you will stay on those benefits as long as your circumstances remain the same and there is no break in your claim.

If you have a break in your claim or your circumstances change, you may need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.


For Council Tax Support claims, you will be classed as a pension age couple if only one of you is State Pension age 


Claim Universal Credit

You can use a Benefit Calculator to see if you are eligible to claim Universal Credit and you can apply online here

If you claim Universal Credit your rent costs will normally be included as part of your claim, so you will not normally need to claim Housing Benefit / Local Housing Allowance separately.

However there are some exceptions to this eg. if you live in supported accommodation.

If you cannot claim Universal Credit you should apply for Housing Benefit / Local Housing Allowance

If you receive Universal Credit you do need to claim for Council Tax Support separately.

Housing Benefit / Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Support claim form (PDF, 1.54MB)

If in doubt please do not hesitate to contact us