Apply for Benefits online

Apply for Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit online

We are currently receiving a high volume of telephone calls. Many of our services can be accessed online by registering for an account on  MyServicesIf after checking your account you still need assistance, or if you are new to the Harborough district and do not have an account number to register, please contact us by email.


You can apply online here for Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit but please read the information below and check your eligibility by using a Benefit Calculator first. 

Please note : Harborough District Council works in partnership with Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council and North West Leicestershire District Council to deliver benefit services. The above link to apply online will take you to the Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council website to complete a form.

Also, if you wish to provide any documents in support of your claim in person at our offices this can only be done by pre booking an appointment

Universal Credit

If you claim Universal Credit any help you are eligible for towards your rent costs will have already been paid within your Universal Credit payments. Therefore you do not need to normally make a separate claim for Housing Benefit.

However there are some exceptions to this and if you are in supported accommodation you may continue to have Housing Benefit paid instead.

Help towards your Council Tax is not included in your Universal Credit payments so you will have to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support.

If in doubt please do not hesitate to contact us

Savings (Capital)

If you have savings of more than £16,000 you will not be entitled to any Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. However this savings threshold does not apply if you are receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee).

Benefit Calculators

You can use our online calculators to work out if you can apply for benefits and how much you might be able to get:

How benefits are calculated

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support are calculated by comparing how much income you have got coming in by how much money the government says you need to live on. The amounts are known as personal allowances and reflect the basic living needs of the person making the claim and any of their family members.

Adults that live with you may affect your claim

Items classed as income include:

  • All State Pensions and Benefits
  • Private Pensions
  • Salaries and Wages
  • Payments received from boarders and lodgers etc 
  • For every £250 of savings which exceeds £6,000 an income of £1 per week is taken into account, or if you are aged 60 or more it is £1 for every £500 which exceeds £10,000

The following are disregarded but need to be declared on an application form:

  • War Pensions
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Mobility Allowance
  • Child Benefit and Maintenance in respect of a child

Full salary and wage amounts are not taken into account when benefit is assessed. From the gross amounts the following are deducted: Income Tax, National Insurance, half of any payment to a Private Pension or a Superannuation Scheme. After that there is a further disregard of £5 for a single person, £10 for a couple or £25 for a single parent. If you pay someone to care for your child/children you may also be able to get some of this payment deducted from the income we use in the benefit calculation.

Items classed as capital include: 

  • Cash  
  • Bank, Building Society and Post Office Accounts
  • Bonds
  • Premium Bonds
  • ISAs
  • National Savings Certificates
  • Stocks, Shares and Unit Trusts
  • Property or Land that you have an interest in - this does not include the property you occupy as your home

Please click on the links to find out more information about Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit