Help and support for council tax and benefits

Help and support

The information on this page is designed to help you find relevant sources of help and support if you are struggling to pay your rent and/or council tax. 

Universal Credit 

Council tax instalments 

More than 75% of people pay their council tax bills by Direct Debit. If you are not paying by Direct Debit and would like to change your instalment plan and set up a Direct Debit at the same time, please sign up at 

Creating a new payment arrangement

To do this you need set up an online Council Tax account (see above on how to do that). Once registered, you can view your Council Tax details, request a payment arrangement, search for a Council Tax band, pay your Council Tax and sign up for direct debit. 

Please note that when setting up a payment arrangement via this method, all payments must be received within this financial year. 

If you are experiencing financial difficulty and cannot settle the council tax due before the end of March 2023 please contact customer services on 01858 828282. 

Council tax support 

If you are on a low income or your income has reduced and you have less than £16,000 in capital, you can make a claim for Council Tax Reduction at 

If you are working age and in receipt of Council Tax reduction, the household will be eligible for an additional grant of up to £150 to help towards your Council Tax bill. 

Payments will be allocated to your account automatically if you are eligible. Please do not contact us. We will automatically rebill you once this grant has been applied.

Help with paying your rent

Most working age people should claim help with rent costs through Universal Credit

If you are pension age or live in supported or temporary accommodation, you should claim Housing Benefit at 

Reporting change in in circumstances council tax support and housing benefit 

If you are in receipt of either council tax reduction/support and/or housing benefit, complete our change of circumstance form to let us know about changes to your income at