Our Armed Forces Community
Who are our Armed Forces community?
The Armed Forces community is made up of:
- those serving in HM Armed Forces or Armed Forces Reserves: the Royal Navy, Royal Marines, Royal Air Force and the Regular Army plus their constituent reserves
- ex-Service Personnel or veterans - those who have served at least one day in HM Armed Forces as a Regular or Reservist, or Merchant Mariners who were part of a legally sanctioned operation, this includes those who did National Service and the Home Guard
- their dependants including spouses, civil partners and children, but can, where appropriate, be extended to unmarried partners, parents and other family members
- the bereaved: the immediate family of Service Personnel and ex-Service Personnel who have died, whether or not that death has any connection with service
Harborough district has a rich military history which more recently included 4 of the counties 15 WW2 RAF Stations;
- RAF Bitteswell
- RAF Bruntingthorpe, operational until 1962
- RAF Husbands Bosworth
- RAF Market Harborough, became 27 Brigade Vehicle depot until the army left in the late 1950’s
Harborough district is home to a wide mix of our armed forces community including serving personnel and veterans across the age ranges and their families as evidenced in our Armed Forces survey.