Bid to install extra electric vehicle charging points

Published Tuesday 11 May 2021

More electric vehicle charging points could be introduced across the Harborough district if a bid for funding is successful.

To meet the increasing use of electric vehicles in the district, Harborough District Council’s Cabinet agreed on 10 May 2021 that 1Electric vehicle charge point0 extra electric charging points should be installed at car parks subject to the success of a Government funding bid.

The new charging points could also benefit residents without driveways, or access to off-street parking, who can charge their electric vehicles overnight in the car parks, whilst just paying for the power used. This will allow them to opt for an electric vehicle when they change car.

The car parks earmarked for the extra charging points are Doddridge Road car park, St Mary’s West car park and Angel Street car park, in Market Harborough, which are all owned by the Council and allow free overnight parking.

Cllr Jonathan Bateman said, Harborough District Council’s Cabinet lead on climate change, said: “We know electric vehicles are more environmentally-friendly and, with this in mind, we want to bring in more charging points to support our climate agenda around improving local air quality and working towards carbon neutrality by 2030.”

The Harborough district currently has six charging points in four car parks which have been increasingly used over the last two years.

The Government funding would provide 75% of the project cost with the remaining 25% will come from the Council and partners.

If the funding bid is successful, the Council will enter into partnership with an installation company which would maintain the points for seven years. At the end of the contract period, the Council will have the option to purchase the units at the current market value or the partner company will remove the units at their own cost.