Not-to-be-missed activities on offer for young peoplePublished Tuesday 5 July 2022
Young people are invited to take part in a host of free drop-in activities, during the summer break, including sessions from local basketball and skateboarding VIPs.
Building on the success of the recent School Community Safety Roadshows, ‘Respect and Tolerate’, ‘Lighter Nights’ and ‘Safer Summer’ campaigns, the Community Safety Partnership is hosting a series of summer events, designed to appeal to young people looking for something to do during the school-break.
Aimed at 12–17 year olds, the events will be held at five locations across the Harborough district, starting with a week of activity to mark national Anti-Social Behaviour Week, from Monday 18 July to Friday 22 July, and continuing at a different locations for each of the remaining weeks of the school summer holidays.
Local basketball legends, Leicester Riders, will be delivering coaching sessions throughout the week, and there will be action-packed activities with Fiesta Sports, and staff from Lutterworth Sports Centre. Each event will have additional (non-sport) activities led by Harborough District Children and Young People’s Charity’s (HCYC) youth workers at their Chill-Out Bus alongside refreshments from the Really Awesome Coffee Co’s coffee van.
The other events will take place weekly on Thursdays, with some coaching available at skate parks from the amazing Skate Parlour, and a special mobile skate park is coming to Kibworth thanks to the district-based Highline Adventure.
Cllr Simon Whelband said: “These are really exciting activities and I know young people will be really keen to take part. The summer period can be a time when anti-social behaviour becomes more prevalent, but the aim of hosting these events is to give young people something fun to do and create hubs of socially-acceptable activities in our open spaces.”
The activities on offer are:
- Monday 18 July, 3pm – 5pm, Leicester Riders and HCYC @ the MUGA on Warwick Park, Kibworth Harcourt
- Tuesday 19 July, 3pm – 5pm, Leicester Riders and HCYC @ the MUGA on Manor Field Recreation Ground, Thurnby
- Wednesday 20 July, 3pm – 5pm, Leicester Riders and HCYC @ the MUGA on Burford Green Recreation Ground, Market Harborough
- Thursday 21 July, 3pm – 5pm, Leicester Riders and HCYC @ the MUGA on Frolesworth Road Recreation Ground, Broughton Astley
- Friday 22 July, 3pm – 5pm, Fiesta Sports and HCYC @ the MUGA on Coventry Road Recreation Ground, Lutterworth
- Thursday 28 July, 3pm – 5pm, Si-Sports @ MUGA on Manor Field Recreation Ground, Thurnby
- Thursday 4 August, 3pm-5pm, Skate Parlour @ Bellfields Skate Park, Little Bowden, Market Harborough
- Thursday 11 August, 11am – 5pm, Mobile Skate Park @ Barnards Way Carpark, Warwick Park, Kibworth
- Thursday 18 August, 3pm – 5pm, Skate Parlour @ Frolesworth Road Skate Park, Broughton Astley
- Thursday 25 August, 3pm – 5pm, Skate Parlour @ Coventry Road Skate Park, Lutterworth
There is no need to book to attend – just turn up and take part for free.
Emergency contact details will be required by all participants of any sporting activity, but, with permission, these can also be used to signpost and remind young people of a host of other things to do around the district over the holidays.
- More articles in the news archive