Environmental Grant Scheme launched to encourage greener communitiesPublished Tuesday 13 February 2024
A council initiative set to empower communities to be greener has opened to applications.
The Environmental Grant Scheme provides financial support to constituted 'not for profit' organisations within the Harborough district to encourage them to undertake capital projects with a demonstrable positive impact on the environment.
Village groups, community enterprises, registered charities, and town/parish councils can apply for grants ranging from £5,000 to £20,000.
Successful applicants must demonstrate a clear benefit and a positive, proven impact on the environment, aligning with one or more of the following outcomes:
- Reduce the carbon footprint of the community: Projects that actively contribute to lowering the carbon footprint of the community
- Reduce the waste produced in the community: Communities striving to reduce the amount of waste produced within their boundaries, fostering a culture of responsible waste management
- Create, or protect and enhance, biodiversity or environmental assets such as green spaces and waterways: Initiatives focused on creating, protecting, and enhancing biodiversity, as well as safeguarding environmental assets such as green spaces and waterways
- Educate and/or raise awareness of climate change that will result in one of the above outcomes: Proposals that aim to educate and raise awareness about climate change, ultimately leading to one or more of the above outcomes, will be considered as part of this scheme.
Cllr Darren Woodiwiss, Harborough District Council’s Cabinet lead for Environmental and Climate Change, said: “This initiative underscores our commitment to sustainable development and empowers local communities to be active contributors to environmental conservation. We encourage all eligible groups to put forward innovative projects that align with our shared goal of building a greener, more resilient Harborough district.”
Applications for the Environmental Grant Scheme are now open, and interested parties are invited to submit their proposals. Further details, eligibility criteria, and the application process can be found at www.harborough.gov.uk/environmentalgrant
- More articles in the news archive