Council Tax Reduction - definitions


Carers disregard form

For the purposes of council tax, you would be considered a carer if you are:

  • Providing care for a person who is entitled to one of these benefits:
    • a higher rate of Attendance Allowance
    • the highest rate of the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance
    • an increased Disablement Pension
    • an increased Constant Attendance Allowance and
  • resident in the same property as the person who is receiving care and
  • providing care for at least 35 hours a week on average and
  • not a spouse of the person being cared for or a parent caring for their child who is under 18 years of age.

(for the purpose of Council Tax, couples living together are treated as married couples).