Council Tax discounts
Single person discount
If you are the only adult living in your property you can apply for a 25% discount to your Council Tax charge.
When counting the number of adults living in a property certain groups of people, as detailed in the below list, are not counted.
You must complete the relevant form (please click on the relevant PDF link in below list) and send this with your single occupancy discount claim form, so that we know not to include these people (the address to send each form to is at the top of each form):
- Full time students (including student nurses, youth training trainees and foreign language assistants)
- 18/19 year olds who are at, or have just left school or college (PDF, 172KB)
- Patients resident in hospital
- Being looked after in care homes(PDF, 172KB)
- Severely mentally impaired people
- People in hostels or night shelters
- Low paid care workers - usually employed by charities
- People caring for a person with a disability who is not a partner or child under 18 years old
- Members of religious communities such as monks or nuns
- People in detention(except for non-payment of Council Tax or a fine) (PDF, 171KB)
- Members of visiting forces - certain international and defence organisations
If everyone at your property is in one of these groups you may be entitled to a further discount.
Temporary time away from a property due to holidays or work will not normally result in a discount.