Temporary event notification



You will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out a one-off licensable activity in unlicensed premises, this includes:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol to members of a private club
  • Providing entertainment (eg music, dancing or indoor sporting events)
  • Serving hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

The fee for a Temporary Event Licence is £21.

To be deemed valid your application must be received by all organisations at least 10 working days before the event or 5 working days before if it is a late application.

The day of submitting the completed TEN application and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event. If payment is made later than the day we receive the TEN application then the timing starts from the payment date.

Your application will be dealt with within 2 working days. You will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority within 7 days of receipt of the application.

Apply Online

You can now apply and pay online for a Temporary Event Notification (TEN). This is much quicker, easier and will be distributed by HDC to the relevant authoirites (Leicestershire Police and Environmental Health).

If you have a problem downloading the application form, right click the download link and choose “Save link as” and save to your computer. Then go to the file, right click and choose “Open with Adobe”.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notification (TEN)

Apply by Post


To make your application you must do the following:

If the premises where the event is to be held is in an area governed by two or more local authorities then applications must be made to each.

Withdrawal of TEN

If you wish to cancel a TEN you must send the TEN withdrawal form (docx 62 KB) to us by email or post no later than 24 hours before the start time given on the TEN. There is no refund for cancelled TENs. 

Find out more about Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

Read government advice on running a community event.