Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.


Skip to main content

Licence to sell alcohol and provide licensed entertainment

A personal licence is required for anyone who plans to authorise the sale or supply of alcohol.

You need a licence for premises where licensed entertainment will be held, and for any business or other organisation that sells or supplies alcohol on a permanent basis. If alcohol is to be sold at premises, it can only be sold under the authority of a person who holds a personal licence. The premises at which activities take place must be covered by a premises licence, a club certificate or a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

View guidance on the Licensing Act 2003.

Personal Licence

A personal licence lasts indefinitely, unless it is surrendered or revoked. The licence application fee is £37.

In order to apply you must be aged 18 years or over and hold a licensing qualification, for example, a BIIAB Level II examination certificate or a similar accredited qualification. View a list of accredited qualifications.

You must complete the following forms:

And submit them to us along with the following:

  • Original licensing qualification certificate
  • Two photographs,  one of which must be endorsed as a true likeness of you by a solicitor, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification. The reverse should read – I certify that this is a true likeness of “Your Name” and they should then sign and print their name and identify their qualification or standing in the community
  • Basic Disclosure  (original not a copy) - the Basic Disclosure must be no more than 1 month old at the time the personal licence application is made. You can order your Basic Disclosure via
  • £37 fee which you can pay by cheque (payable to Harborough District Council) or by card on 01858 828282 or in person at The Symington Building

Completed forms should be posted to Licensing Team, The Symington Building, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 7AG or brought into our Customer Services Team.

Replacement Licences

If either part of the licence is lost, stolen or damaged you must notify us immediately by completing the replacement or ammendment form. The current fee for producing a replacement licence is £10.50 and 2 new photographs should be provided.

You must also notify us if you change your name or address by completing the replacement or ammendment form, so that the details on the licence can be updated. The current fee for an amended licence is £10.50 and 2 new photographs should be provided.

The completed form can be emailed to or posted to: Licensing Section, The Symington Building, Adam & Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 7AG.

Premises Licence

Apply for a premises licence. View the charges for premises licence applications.

Please read the premises licence guidance notes carefully before completing the application form and give careful thought as to what steps you will take to promote the four licensing objectives as anything you specify in the operating schedule will be included as conditions on the premises licence. The plan should be to scale 1:100cm and this should be clearly indicated on the plan itself.

Completed forms should be emailed to or posted to Regulatory Services and Licensing Team, The Symington Building, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 7AG.

To ensure that your premises licence application is valid you must send copies of your application form and all of the accompanying documents to:

  • The Leicestershire Constabulary, The Chief Officer of Police, The Licensing Section, Mansfield House, 74 Belgrave Gate, Leicester, LE1 3GG
  • The Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service, The Chief Fire Officer Risk Management, Southern Fire Station, Meridian Business Park, Meridian East, Leicester, LE19 1WZ
  • Trading Standards, Business Services, County Hall, Glenfield, Leicestershire, LE3 8RN
  • NHS Leicesterhsire and Rutland, County Hall, Glenfield, Leicestershire, LE38NA

Immigration checks

New rules were introduced on 6 April 2017, which require immigration checks to be carried out on individuals and partnerships applying for a premises licence. The applicant must send a copy of their completed application to the Alcohol and Licensing Team, Home Office, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY, or email it to

Fees for premises licences

The fees for licences depends upon the business rates (national non-domestic rateable value) “band” of the premises. You can check the business rates value of a property on the Valuation Office Agency website.

Band Rateable Value Annual fee Fee for new premises licence, variation to existing licence and conversion during transition. Fee for variation made at same time as application for Conversion Additional fee for premises where primary activity is sale of alcohol by retail for consumption on premises Additional annual fee for premises where primary activity is sale of alcohol by retail for consumption on premises
A £0 to  £4,300 £70 £100 £20 £0 £0
B £4,301 to £33,000 £180 £190 £60 £0 £0
C £33,001 to  £87,000 £295 £315 £80 £0 £0
D £87,001 to  £125,000 £320 £450 £100 £450 £320
E £125,001 and above £350 £635 £120 £1270 £700

Advertising your Premises licence application

Prior to advertising your application you are advised to contact the Licensing Team to agree the date for the consultation period.

If you are applying for a new licence you must advertise your application in 2 ways.

  1. By displaying a notice - this must be prominently displayed at or on the premises to which the application relates; where it can be conveniently read from the exterior of the premises; and, in the case of a premises covering an area of more than 50 metres square, a further notice every 50 metres along the external perimeter of the premises:
    • Of size A4 or greater
    • On pale blue paper
    • In black type in times new roman font 14pt or larger
    • For 28 days starting on the day after the application was made
  2. By publishing a notice in a local newspaper on a date not more than 10 working days from the day after the application was made

Both notices must contain the following information:

  • The name of the applicant or club
  • The address of the premises
  • Details of the application
  • The location of the licensing authority’s register (This can be given as Harborough District Council, Council Offices, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leics, LE16 7AG)
  • The date between which representations about the application can be made (This is from the date of the application for 20 working days)
  • State that representations must be made to the Licensing Authority in writing
  • A statement that it is an offence knowingly or recklessly to make a false statement in connection with an application and the maximum fine for which a person is liable on summary conviction for the offence

Granting the Premises licence

If no representations have been received then your licence will be granted and come into effect after the 28 day consultation period ends. If relevant representations have been made then your application may be referred to a hearing if they cannot be resolved by mediation.

Annual Fees

The premises licence lasts indefinitely until it is either surrendered or revoked. An annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the date the licence was granted (fees in table above). An invoice will be sent to you approximately 2 weeks before the payment due date.

Changes to your licence

Minor/Major variations
Depending on the change you wish to make it will be classed as either a minor variation or major variation.

DPS variation
To change the DPS at the premises you must submit:

The fee is £23.

Transfer of licence
To change the premises licence holder i.e. transfer the licence, you must submit:

The fee is £23.

Change of name/registered address of licence holder
Please notify us in writing if the name or registered address of the premises licence holder changes or if you wish to change the name of the premises. There is a £10.50 administrative fee applicable.

Review of a licence

At any stage, following the grant of a premises licence, a responsible authority (or any other person) may ask us to review the licence because of a matter arising at the premises.

Request a review of a licence.