Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.


Skip to main content

Council Tax discounts

View your Council Tax account online using 'My Services'. Find out more about the 'My Services' account.

A number of different discounts are available for Council Tax charges depending upon your circumstances.

When we send your Council Tax bill we will include any discounts we think apply to your property.

If your bill shows that we have given you a discount, you must tell us about any change in your circumstances that could affect your discount. You may have to pay a fine if you don't do this.

If there is no discount and you think you should get one please tell us why you think you should receive a Council Tax discount. We will tell you what evidence you will need to provide in support of the claim. We will then make a decision within 2 months. If you still disagree with our decision you can appeal the decision - we will explain how you can do this when we tell you about the decision. You should continue to pay your original bill whilst your appeal is outstanding.

If you should have been receiving a Council Tax discount in the past but were not you can claim back the money you should have received. Tell us about a discount you think you should have been getting.

Whether you receive a Council Tax discount or not you may be able to claim Council Tax Support.

Each year councils are required to make sure that discounts are being granted to the right households in their area. We may do this by sending out review forms asking for information. If you get a form asking about discounts, you should complete and return it, as a prompt response will ensure your Council Tax charge is correct.

Single occupancy discount

If you are the only adult living in your property you can apply for a 25% discount to your Council Tax charge.  Apply for the single occupancy discount (PDF, 2.2MB).

When counting the number of adults living in a property certain groups of people are not counted. You must complete the relevant form and send this with your single occupancy discount claim form so that we know not to include these people (if everyone at your property is in one of these groups you may be entitled to a further discount):

Temporary time away from a property due to holidays or work will not normally result in a discount.

Empty and unfurnished property discount

If a property is empty and unfurnished Council Tax will not be charged for 1 month.

If the property remains empty and unfurnished for more than 2 years a 50% premium will now be charged. In essence you will now pay 150% in Council Tax.

Please note the above takes effect from 1st April 2018.

Contact us to claim this discount.

Unoccupied but furnished property

A property that is no-one's main home and is furnished can receive a 10% discount on their Council Tax charge called a second homes discount. Contact us to apply for a second home discount. From 1st April 2018 this discount will no longer apply.

However if a person liable for Council Tax has to live elsewhere to carry out their job, and this is a requirement within their terms of employment, a 50% discount may be given on the unoccupied property. This discount only applies to properties in England, Scotland and Wales.

Contact us for more information on the work related discount


Disabled relief discount

If you are disabled or someone who lives with you is disabled, you may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax charge. These reductions work by charging Council Tax at a rate one valuation band lower than the banding shown for your property.

Apply for disabled relief discount from Council Tax (PDF, 111KB).

The person liable to pay the Council Tax is eligible for this reduction if a disabled person is living in the property and one of the following is true:

  • The property contains a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or lavatory which is predominantly used by and is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • The property contains an additional kitchen or bathroom which is required for meeting the needs of the disabled person
  • The disabled person needs the use of a wheelchair within the property and there is enough floor space in the property for the use of a wheelchair

The regulations do allow a discount for properties in band A.

Carer's Council Tax discount

You can claim a 25% discount off your Council Tax bill if you provide care for someone. Apply for Carer's Council Tax discount (PDF, 606KB).

To qualify for this discount:

  • You must live at the same address as the person that you provide care for
  • Everyone else in the household, or all others except one person, can be ignored for Council Tax purposes
  • You care for someone who is not your husband, wife, partner, or a child under the age of 18
  • You provide at least 35 hours of care each week
  • You provide care to someone who receives one of the following benefits:
    • A higher rate Attendance Allowance
    • The highest rate of care component of a Disability Living Allowance
    • An increase in the rate of his or her War Disablement Pension for constant attendance
    • An increase in Constant Attendance Allowance

Properties having major repair work or structural changes

Properties having major repair work can get a 50% discount on Council Tax for up to 1 year. Complete an application for a discount if your property is having major repair work (PDF, 490KB). From 1st April 2018 this discount will no longer apply.

Annex discount

Annexes that are used by the person living in the main house as part of the main home, or annexes which are occupied by a relative of the person living in the main house, can receive a 50% reduction in the Council Tax charge for the annex.

Apply for an Annex Council Tax discount (PDF, 2.1MB).

The 50% reduction is on top of any other discount you or your relative may be entitled to. For example, if your adult son is living in the annex on his own, he will need to pay Council Tax and will be entitled to a 25% single person discount and a 50% annex discount.

To be able to receive this discount the annex must form part of a single property (the annex must be within the grounds of the main house - not necessarily attached) and must be included in the title deeds of the main house and not registered separately. It must also be used in one of the following ways:

  • Being used by the resident of the main house, as part of their main home, 
  • Being lived in by a relative of the person who lives in the main house - a relative could be a partner, parent, child, step-child, grandparent, grandchild, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, great grandparent, great grandchild and great, great grandparent