Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use.


Skip to main content

Apply for planning permission

Planning Applications

Planning permission is the formal permission from us for the development of land, property or any other building project.

Some projects may not require planning permission, but be aware that if you begin a project without legally obtaining planning permission and it turns out you DO need it this could result in enforcement action being taken, and you could end up with a fine and /or a criminal conviction.

If you are new to the planning process you should first establish if you need planning permission.

If you don't need planning permission you may still need building regulation consent.

Submitting an application

You can submit a planning application using the National Planning Portal. Where you can complete your application form, buy site location plans, upload supporting documents and pay fees online.

All application forms and guidance on completing forms are available on the national website.

Alternatively, you can submit your planning application in paper form by downloading and printing the appropriate form and guidance notes.

We can provide you with advice before you submit a planning application. This is known as Pre-application advice.

Fees for applications

You can use an online calculator to work out the fee for your application. You can also view a list of all fees for planning applications in England.

Once you know if and what you have to pay, there are four payment methods you can use. They are:

  • Pay online (if applying via the Planning Portal)
  • Pay by phone - 01858 828282 during office hours; please quote your planning application number and the application site address.
  • Pay by cheque - Development Management, Harborough District Council, The Symington Building, Adam and Eve Street, Market Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16 7AG. Write on the reverse what the payment is for, the Planning Portal reference number and a contact number.

What to submit with your application

All planning applications must be submitted with the correct documents.

These include

Check list for applications

For most planning applications the following documents must be submitted:

  • The original and 3 copies of a completed and dated application form
  • The original and 3 copies of a plan which identifies the land to which the application relates drawn to an identified scale and showing the direction of north
  • The original and 3 copies of other plans and drawings or information necessary to describe the subject of the application
  • The original and 3 copies of a design and access statement if proposed works fall within a conservation area or World Heritage Site, or relate to a Listed Building
  • The correct fee
  • The original and 3 copies of the completed, dated Ownership Certificate (A, B, C or D - as applicable)
  • The original and 3 copies of the completed, dated Article 7 Certificate (Agricultural Holdings)

Find out what happens to your submitted application and how a decision is made.

Find out who will make a decision on your application.

Checking the progress of a planning application

Information regarding the progress of a planning application such as important dates are avaible to view on Planning Online. Alternatively, you can call the Case Officer for an update.

If  you have any queries about making your application, please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Making changes to your planning application

You can make changes to your planning application after it has been submitted, but major changes could lead to long delays. If you would like to make major changes, you should consider withdrawing your application and submitting a new one.

If you wish to make any changes to your application, you should contact your Case Officer who will be able to advise you on the best approach. Please note that any changes to your application may result in delays.

Making changes after permission has been granted

If you want to make any changes to the approved plans, then you should contact us with the details before starting work, as any amendment to the approved scheme will require permission.

Minor changes (non-material) can be made by submitting an 'application for a non-material amendment to a planning permission'. We will consider whether the changes proposed are minor and therefore non-material to the approved planning permission. We aim to make a decision within 28 days.

If you wish to make significant changes to your planning permission you will have to apply for a further planning application.

Alternatively, if you want to vary or remove a condition attached to your planning permission you can submit a 'Removal or Variation of conditions' application. This can be submitted in relation to any condition, apart from the time limit conditions imposed on the commencement of the development, or submission of reserved matters on an outline permission. More information can be found here.

Independent planning advice

Planning Aid provides free and impartial advice on planning issues.