Paying your Council Tax

Request a refund

As Council Tax payments are mostly paid in advance, where there is a change in your circumstances a credit may occur on your account. These credits can be refunded to you after verification.

A refund will only be completed if your account is in credit, and you do not owe any other amounts of Council Tax. If you move house within the district area, any credit on your previous address will be transferred to your new address. If you have moved outside the district and have overpaid, then a refund will be made.

Reasons for overpayment

A Council Tax account can fall into credit for the following reasons:

  • a discount has been awarded
  • an exemption has been awarded
  • customer leaves the property or their liability ends
  • been awarded Council Tax Support
  • a banding alteration
  • customer has overpaid

It is important that the form provided is completed and returned to us.

Where a request for a refund is received for payment other than the original payer then the application will be subject to a validation check. There may sometimes be a slight delay, because of this validation check in issuing the refund. After validation has taken place we will issue a refund, via BACS where possible, which is usually issued within 10 working days from the date of request.