Report an issue with noise, smoke, smells or light
Noise, smoke, odours and light issues can be classed as a ‘statutory nuisance’ - a problem that by law we can take action on. To decide if this is the case we need to look at:
- The severity of the problem
- The length of time it has lasted
- How often it happens
- Whether it would interfere with the ‘average’ person's reasonable enjoyment of their property
Talk before you report
Before you report a problem you should first try to politely speak or write to the person or organisation causing the issue. Although you may find this difficult, it is surprising how often people are unaware of the problems they are causing.
If you are still unable to reach a resoloution, you can report the nuisance to us.
- Complete Nuisance Record Sheets of how frequent the nuisance is occuring and how this is affecting you
- Report the nuisance to us using our online form and you can attach your Nuisance Record Sheets
- Read about how we deal with your complaints
Harborough District Council has recently subscribe to The NoiseApp. This allows users to submit their own noise recordings in order to provide a representative example of the noise nuisance you are experiencing. Find out more and download The NoiseApp