Report an issue with noise, smoke, smells or light

Report an issue with noise

Noise problems could be persistent noise from a business or a construction site, loud music from a bar or a club, or everyday things like noisy dogs.

In the case of rowdy behaviour outside - call the police on 101.

Unfortunately, the Council is generally unable to assist with noise complaints where the source is:

  • Children playing eg in a garden, public space or park 
  • Talking or shouting, unless unreasonably loud or at unreasonable times 
  • Day-to-day domestic noise (eg lawn mowing, hedge trimming, washing machines, vacuuming etc)   
  • Traffic noise (including essential roadworks and maintenance)
  • Railway noise (including essential maintenance) 
  • Aircraft noise 

After you make a report, you will be asked to keep a diary of the dates and times the nuisance occurs, its duration and the effect it has on you. The records must be made as events happen, not after the event. Records should be kept for a period of between 14 to 21 days.  We will then review the diary and may undertake a full investigation into the noise.

If the noise is severe, we can issue an ‘abatement notice’ on the person responsible asking them to stop.  If they do not it could result in noise producing equipment being seized and prosecution.

Barking Dogs

It’s normal and natural for dogs to bark. But when barking happens a lot, or goes on for a long time, it can be annoying and upsetting neighbours.

What can I do?

If you are a dog owner and have been approached by a neighbour about your dog barking too much, the first step is to calmly talk things over with them and try to work out a solution. You can get further advice on reducing the amount of noise your dog is making in this DEFRA booklet. You could also consider placing your dog in a licenced boarding establishment within Harborough District whilst you are working.

Talk before you report. If you are being troubled by noise from your neighbour’s dog, you can approach your neighbour to explain politely that you are being disturbed. However, you should approach the matter carefully if you feel that your neighbour might react angrily.  Keep a record using our nuisance record sheet.

If the problem continues, you can report dog barking to the Council.