Garden waste service
Terms and Conditions for April 2022 - March 2023
By agreeing to pay for the garden waste service (the Service) the resident(s) (you) will be accepting the terms and conditions below:
You have agreed to pay Harborough District Council (HDC) to collect garden waste that has been placed in a garden waste wheeled bin(s). The Service is provided for nine months of the financial year; with collections from April to November and the following March of that financial year.
- If you decide to purchase the Service part way through the year, there will be no reductions for a part year Service. The cost of the Service will remain the same for the collection of one bin and for any additional bins.
- If you move out of HDC’s administrative boundary or stop using the Service for any reason, you will not be entitled to a refund. No refunds for the Service will be issued for any reason.
- The garden waste bin(s) will be emptied every other week (except for the period of December to February when there will be one collection only during January, or when other factors stop HDC collecting your waste, such as very bad weather or public holidays). If HDC miss a collection of your garden waste bin(s), HDC will use it’s reasonable endeavour to reschedule a subsequent collection of your bin(s) as soon as is reasonably practicable, unless there is an issue logged by our contractor. Please note any bins that are compacted or frozen will not receive a return collection. You will not receive a refund if HDC miss your bin(s) or if HDC are unable to collect your bin(s) or if the bin is frozen due to bad weather or compacted.
- Your garden waste bin(s) must only be used for garden waste from your property and presented with the lid closed at the boundary where private property meets the Public Highway, by 7:00am on the day of collection.
- Contaminated garden waste bins which contain items that are not accepted as part of the Service will not be emptied and no return collection will be made for these bins. Please see the Service leaflet or the sticker previously issued for the items accepted.
- Garden waste can be heavy; the vehicle lifts are set to lift no more than 100kg. Any bins over this weight will not be emptied and you will be required to remove the excess and wait until the next scheduled collection.
- If you move to another address in HDC’s administrative boundary, please do not take your bin(s) with you. If you would like your garden waste collected from your new home, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to transfer the Service to your new address.
- The bin(s) will remain the property of HDC at all times. If your bin(s) becomes damaged as a result of collection by our contractor, HDC will repair or replace the bin(s) free of charge, as soon as is reasonably practical. If the bin(s) is damaged through neglect or misuse by you, the cost of repair or replacement may be recharged to you. If your bin is damaged, please email email@example.com
- Payment involves one single payment for the full amount and is required every year in advance of the Service. You will be notified of the charge and payment date of the Service each year by e-mail or letter. If you do not make payment 7 days before the service begins, we cannot guarantee you will have a continuous service from 1st April. The Service will be cancelled from 1st April and your bin(s) shall be left unemptied until such time as you make payment for the Service.
- No new subscriptions will be taken from 1st December each year, although residents can sign-up for the new collection year from February.
- Payments can be made by debit/credit card online or by telephone. You can also set up re-occurring payments by visiting www.harborough.gov.uk/garden-waste Please note that if the payment fails at any time then the Service will be terminated until payment is received by HDC. Subscription renewal is your responsibility. Any missed collections due to non-payment will not be honoured. If you move out of HDC’s administrative boundary, please ensure you cancel your payments.
- HDC will process any personal data in accordance with the Council’s Privacy Notice, which can be found at www.harborough.gov.uk/privacy
For more information in relation to the Service, please visit www.harborough.gov/garden-waste